Timeline of Events in SROC History
Minnesota Legislature appropriated funds to establish two demonstration farms where local problems could be explored by Department of Agriculture personnel.
A committee representing the state, the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota and the Department of Agriculture selected and purchased 246 acres just west and south of Waseca naming it the Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station of the University of Minnesota. The land was purchased from R. P. and D. Ward at $125/acre.
First year of operations at the Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station. Albert Hoversten employed as "Farm Manager" and served as first Superintendent of Station, 1913-1918.
R.E. Hodgson appointed Superintendent. Served 1919-1960.
Name changed from "Southeast Demonstration Farm and Experiment Station" to "Southeast Experiment Station".
Station size increased by purchase of 351 acres of land purchased from D., E., & V. Ward for $40,000.
Purchased additional 20.75 acres of miscellaneous land from E. & V. Ward and W. & R. Papke and E. F. and Ethel Johnson.
Southern School of Agriculture enrolled first class in January 1953.
Dr. Deane A. Turner appointed Superintendent of the Southern School and Experiment Station. Served 1960 through 1963.
Dr. Edward C. Frederick appointed Superintendent of the Southern School and Experiment Station. Served 1964-70.
Legislative action called for phase-out of the Southern School of Agriculture and for creation of a technical college. The new college and the Southern Experiment Station were established as separate administrative units.
Richard H. Anderson appointed Superintendent of the Southern Experiment Station. Served 1970-90.
Purchase of 232 acres of land from K. & J. Priebe, at a cost of $145,000, brought the total University land holdings at Waseca to approximately 850 acres.
An Advisory Committee was commissioned with 15 charter members to "advise the SES on research and related agricultural or other needs".
Dr. David D. Walgenbach appointed Superintendent of the Southern Experiment Station. Served 1990-2000.
Purchased 120 acres of land from K. & J. Stendel, at a cost of $162,000 and an additional 80 acres from K. & M. Krassin, at a cost of $108,000. Property named the Agricultural Ecology Research Farm (AERF).
Relinquished 95 acres of University land to Federal Correctional Institution, reducing land holdings to approximately 955 acres.
Name of Southern Experiment Station changed to Southern Research and Outreach Center.
Dr. Forrest T. Izuno appointed Head of the Southern Research and Outreach Center